10 Wedding Makeup Tips for Your Perfect Look
With our 10 great wedding makeup tips we not only think you will look great for your wedding day but feel comfortable and feel great.
1. Basic Skin Care
When it comes to wedding makeup tips this is a biggie! A solid regimen of skin and nail care is the best way to get the ‘total look’ you want. Talk to a beautician regarding a skin and nail care plan. This may mean regular facials starting two months before the wedding. Also don’t forget your nails. Start having weekly manicures about 8 weeks before the wedding. Well kept nails are stronger and less likely to break.
2. Choosing a makeup artist
A makeup artists skill comes from experience. Talk to the artist about where they trained. A makeup artist should know about highlighting, shading, how lighting affects the makeup and how to apply makeup for photography. Ask what they have done in the past and if they have photos of their work to show you.
3. Where to find a makeup artist
The best way is by referral, but there is the yellow pages, internet and bridal magazines. Also try department stores – most girls behind the cosmetic counters are trained in makeup application as well as many beauticians.
4. What look to go with?
What style ultimately depends on your personal preference, but you should consider:
- Time of the ceremony – Day or evening? Lighter more natural makeup is suitable for daytime with more dramatic looks saved for the evening
- Is the ceremony inside or outside? Lighting plays an important part in the choice of the makeup application.
- How long do you need the style to last? Will you need to your makeup touched up, or will it last?
5. At the Trial
Have pictures available to help your makeup artist design a look for you. Also have your head bridesmaids with you for other opinions of the makeup.
- What makeup brands they use?
- Mention if you have any skin problems e.g sensitive skin or allergies.
- Makeup colours should compliment the dress and flowers. Warm neutral tones create a natural look which is often advisable.
This is one of the most important of our wedding makeup tips.
6. Things to avoid
- Bright coloured lipsticks eg. fuchsia, blue-reds and burgundy these colours appear dark and occassionally black in photographs.
- Frosted eye colours as they can be too reflective and flare at the camera, although modern shimmery looks are okay if applied correctly
7. Things to buy
Before the day, have these ready in case you need to fix your makeup:
- A press powder foundation
- Waterproof mascara
Your makeup artist will advise on shades and brands.
8. Pre-wedding Treatments
A nice idea is to have a facial a couple of weeks before the wedding. No closer than this because toxins which come out during and after the facial may cause pimples, which we don’t want on the day. You might also want to consider a manicure on the day or just before.
9. On the Day
Plan and keep to a schedule. Make sure that you eat and brush your teeth before makeup is applied so not to damage the application. Allow approximately 30 mins per person. Where possible, the hairstylist and makeup artist should alternate between people to save time.
10. Doing it Yourself
Although not strictly fitting with wedding makeup tips, I understand you might want to do your own makeup. I would recommend you having private lessons with a professional. They can give pointers on how to bring out the best in you, and tips on makeup applications for the camera.
Remember it’s all about flattering you, not just what’s in fashion.
We hope that these wedding makup tips have been useful in preparation for your big day.